Page 42

042a 2624

042b 2624

A little known trivia item: 2624, shown in this left side view, was one of a very few rehab cars to operate without a left roof deck sign. Signs were scarce, so some cars were cannibalized to provide signs for cars which needed them. Proof is in this one-of-a-kind photo taken at the Erie Loop, Orange, in the spring of 1945.

Motorman Charley Haeder proudly exhibits the master work of the Roseville car houseshop craftsmen. 2624 on the Erie loop, Orange, 1945. (SE, 4-307, LW)

 

042c 2624

042d 2625

2624, 2625 and 2626 were scrapped at the Federal Iron & Salvage Company scrap yard at Lockwood Street in Newark, on the Passaic River, on March 18, 1951, following the Orange line switch to buses. Federal Iron & Salvage, oddly enough, was owned by Thomas N. McCarter and Martin Schreiber, top execs of PublicService Coordinated Transport. Here, 2624 waits in Roseville west yard for truck ride to the scrap yard.

Another rehab car, 2625, meets 2718 on West Market Street in Newark, in the summer of 1946. 2718 met a strange fate in 1947, demolished by a string of runaway Erie Railroad box cars at Bloomfield Avenue grade crossing.

 

Previous Page | Next Page

Trolley Treasures Home Page | Trolley Treasures Vol. 1 Cover Page

Content: © 1997 Al Mankoff
Layout & Design: © 1997
Brett Putnam